Dr. Uday Venkatadri
P.Eng., B.Tech, MS, Ph.D.
Uday Venkatadri, Ph.D., P.Eng, is Professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He has taught at Dalhousie University since July 2001 and also served as Department Head. Before joining Dalhousie, he was a Lead Architect for supply chain planning products at Baan (now Infor Global Solutions Inc.). He also worked as a Research Associate at Université Laval in Québec City.
He holds a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from Purdue University, a Master of Science degree in Industrial Engineering from Clemson University, and a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from IIT-BHU, Varanasi, India.
His current research is focused on production and distribution systems design within the Industry 4.0 context. He is interested in forward and reverse supply chain management, the Physical Internet, and production planning.
His research interests are in smart and hyperconnected logistics networks, facilities planning, production planning and control, and sustainable supply chain management. He teaches courses in these areas as well as operations research, modeling of industrial systems, information systems, algorithms, and quality control. He has published in journals such as the International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, International Journal of Peformability Engineering, Production Planning and Control, International Journal of Production Economics, European Journal of Operations Research, IIE Transactions, International Journal of Production Research, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, and Management Science,. He is a senior member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), a member of the Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS) and a member of Engineers Nova Scotia.
Fields of Research
Supply Chain Management
Data Analytics AI and Machine Learning
Mr. Tri Dung Nguyen, Ph.D., In progress, “Robust Dragon Fruit Supply Chain Optimization” (co-supervision with Dr. Tri-Nguyen Quang)
Ms. Dang Phi Van Hai, Ph.D., In progress, Production Planning in the Presence of Congestion Effects (co-supervision with Dr. Tri-Nguyen Quang)
Mr. Simranjeet Singh Chadha, Ph.D., In Progress, Topic TBD (co-supervision with Dr. M. Ali Ulku)
Mr. Chiranjib Biswas, Ph.D., In Progress, “Block Chain Supply Chain Management”
Mr. Wenhao Yi, MASc., In Progress, “The Physical Internet”
Mr. Ruohao Chen, MASc., In Progress, Topic TBD
Ms. Emily Wang, MASc., In Progress, Topic TBD
Past Students (since 2018)
1. Christian Noel Samuel, MASc, 2018 “Closed-Loop Supply Chain Optimization Under Greenness, Reliability, Quality, Carbon Emissions and Uncertainty Considerations” (co-supervised with Dr. Claver Diallo)
2. Emad Sadoon, MASc., 2018, “A Framework for Logistics Management in the Clinical Trial Industry” (co- supervised with Dr. Alireza Ghasemi)
3. Ayush Patel, M.Eng, 2019, “Optimizing the Machine Layout of a Custom Fabrication Shop Using Mixed Integer Linear Programming” (co- supervised with Dr. Alireza Ghasemi)
4. Travis Foster, MASc., 2019, “Scheduling Transfer Patients and Assigning Patient Transfer Units in Nova Scotia” (co- supervised with Dr. Peter Vanberkel)
5. Prashanth Chundi, M.Eng., 2019, “Use of Electric Transit Buses in a Mid-Sized Canadian Municipality”
6. Jamil Sinno, MASc., 2019, “Review of Waste Management in the Healthcare Sector of Nova Scotia” (co- supervised with Dr. Claver Diallo)
7. Mr. Paul Jobinpicard, MASc., 2019, “Natural Gas Storage and Transportation Optimization” (co- supervised with Dr. Claver Diallo)
8. Simranjeet Singh Chadha, MASc. (2019), “An Applied Optimization Model for Freight Delivery in a Physical Internet Supply Chain” (co-supervised with Dr. M. Ali Ülkü)
9. Meet Patel, MASc., 2019, “An adaptive sequential decision-making optimization approach to procure and distribute perishable food items for fast-food restaurant chains at the regional level”
10. Cecil Ash, MASc., 2021, “Enhancing PPE Supply Chain Resilience During the Covid-19 Pandemic Using Multi-Objective Optimization Under Uncertainty” (co-supervised with Dr. Claver Diallo)
FaireChild Ltd. (ERP)
TriStar Ltd. (ERP)
Emera Energy (Storage Optimization under Uncertainty)
Emergency Medical Care (data driven non urgent patient transfers)
Supply Chain Management
Facilities Design (Smart production)